Search This Blog

Custom Search

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

O is for the Power of "One"

In math when you raise a number to the power of one you get that number. You do remember that, right? If not, don't worry you can brush up on algebra basics at Math.com, if necessary.

Oh, and if you are clicking away right now because you think this post is going to be about math-wait, don't go! I don't even feel like thinking about math today and I certainly don't want to write about it. I like math but there are some days I really don't want to go there. What I am going to address in this particular blog is the "Power of One" in respect to homeschooling. I might have some advice or links or something interesting but you'll never know if you click away...so don't go yet. Read on!

Student "Power of One"

A couple of years ago, I ended up in a discussion about homeschooling at the State Fair with a man at the state education booth. His wife worked in the public schools. As we discussed the validity of our individual perspectives he mentioned a family member that homeschooled that would stand behind their child while testing and say things like, "Are you sure you want to answer that way? Think about it a little more." You get the idea-the mom was prompting her child to think before answering.

He implied that this invalidated the testing and homeschooling by default.

For some time after this, that particular part of the conversation irked me. What bothered me was the blanket assumptions he made and to a degree the partial truth in what he said.

To me learning is a process that takes time and repetition and one test neither confirms or validates that the material has been learned or mastered. If a child is tested repeatedly, especially in rote-like materials, during the initial tests/assignments there indeed may be prompting but that is only a potential problem if the prompting is ongoing without the student learning. In comparison to a public school system, I ask, "How much do the parents help with homework lessons and papers?" I've seen or heard about parents completing their child's work so that their child can be involved in activities or get some sleep. Neither system is perfect if the student doesn't learn the material.

The "power of one" message then is that the student should do the work. The student should be the one learning the subject not how to get out of it or how to get the answer from the teacher/parent. There are times when helping is a necessary part of the educational equation but ultimately the student is the one who should do the work and take the tests. If help is needed during a test, then the teacher should go over that material again and retest.

Teacher "Power of One"

When I first began homeschooling, sigh, I was not good at teaching. I lacked patience and had extremely high expectations. After I tripped over those hurdles and many others, I struggled with organization and balancing life with homeschooling. I became better over the years but the biggest hurdle to making progress in the beginning was the "I am their teacher. I must know it all, do it all and be all because I am their teacher-mom" attitude. While it is true, I am their teacher, in order to be successful in homeschooling, I needed help from others. I needed to accept and give help and in doing so I raised myself to the power of one. In the end, I am still just me doing my thing but the power is in one helping one.

Faith "Power of One"

Many days, I felt alone. I did not know where or who to turn to for help or even if there was anyone I could trust. In those times, I turned to God. He has always been there, answered my pleas and encouraged me. What's even better is that He is still there for me and for you.  He is my ultimate "Power of One." He is constantly teaching me, teaching my children and answering our needs. And...lol...sometimes He is standing behind me asking, "Are you sure you want to do that?"

"Student, Teacher, Faith" Power of One-Trinity?

The homeschooling Power of One Trinity = Student doing work/learning + a teacher who teaches + trusting in the goodness and guidance of God.

Sorry, I guess I did add a little math in this post, after all. :O)

Happy Homeschooling!

JulieDD

No comments:

Post a Comment