Search This Blog

Custom Search

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Eagle and/or Bird Watching (Science)

A big part of any science experiment or even in making a hypothesis or coming to a conclusion in a study involves observation.

An observation activity that I feel is enjoyable and can lead to a life-long hobby and learning experience is bird watching. As a child, I would often ride my bike or jog to a nearby river and watch the eagles. They were majestic in size and movement and fascinating to watch, especially when they would swoop down into the river and emerge with a fish.

Right now, as I look out my window, I am watching visiting ducks and a large heron as they search for food in our shallow but rain swollen pond. The ducks return here every year and for a few weeks we watch them as they nest, feast and raise their young. Then one day they are gone. I will miss them if we have to move.

This cycle of life on our farm has led to discussions about birds in general, bird identification, migration, environmental influences on birds and endangered species. My children have also done bird lapbooks and built birdhouses. From eagles to the tiny hummingbird, chickens and guinea hens, birds have provided us with a variety of educational experiences.

So today-bird studies, lapbooks, and anything else I find interesting that relates to birds. Enjoy!

Bird Lapbooks

Backyard Birds from Homeschool Share (Great templates!)

 Owl Lapbook and Resources from Lapbook Lessons

Bird Mini Books from Notebook Learning

Bird Information

Birds from Homeschool on a Shoestring
Birds from A Birds World

Bird Watching/Observation

National Wildlife Refuge System (Find one near you)


The Great Backyard Bird Count

Bird Watching Activities for Kids from TLC

Birding With Children from Bird Watching.com

Bird Watching for Kids from A Home for Wild Birds






Hope you are inspired to find some binoculars and go for a walk outside to watch some birds.

Happy Homeschooling!

JulieDD

2 comments:

  1. I've never been much of a bird watcher, but seeing the first robin each spring does make me ridiculously happy. :O)

    ReplyDelete